Yesterday I spent some time getting the site moved over to the newly released WordPress 2.0 … so far it seems to work well. I had to make a few changes to the K2 theme I use, but I see this morning that Michael has made a new 2.0 compliant version available. There seems to be some nice changes to the whole WP experience … mostly on the admin side of things as far as I can tell. The admin side is streamlined to the point where I don’t feel as though I need to install a theme for that side like I did in the past. I have to admit I haven’t had a chance to really do much more than basic posts, but if the upload function within the “Write Post” screen works as it claims that will be a great enhancement. Some other things of note:
- The WYSIWYG editor is a nice addition, but I am happy it can be turned off … I’ve never been a real fan of that, but in FireFox it makes it easy to edit text. I still like the old fashioned way though.
- I like how they’ve moved the lesser used options in the “Write Post” screen to menus that open and close. It would be nice if they would let me set the ones I do use to default to open … Categories comes to mind as one that would be nice to be set to be open for … speaking of that option, in the category selection pane you can now add a new category right there.
- The speed of the whole thing seems to be improved … I may be just imagining that, but it all just feels more snappy. Either my host has started to get its act together or this thing is really quicker.
- The built in spam plugin is a nice touch … you do have to register for an API key, but it is a small price to pay. Spam Karma 2 has been great, but an extra layer of protection never hurt anyone.
- A small, but well done addition is the theme preview … it reminds me of Drupal the way it shows you a thumbnail of what your stuff will look like if you activate the theme.
There is so much more and you can find it all on the web … BTW, here is a link to the new features that really gets into it … much deeper than I can.Â At the end of the day it is a nice upgrade.