So I have now been using a black MacBook for about five days and I am really enjoying it. The comments made by a whole bunch of people reveal that this is a personal choice that can only be slightly influenced by your peers. Before I get into my initial reactions I just have to say how funny it is that I try to post good stuff about teaching and learning with technology, but the posts that get the most traction are the ones about Apple Hardware and other product style reviews. I think I may have to switch this blog over to an Apple Fanboy site.
Ok, now on to my MacBook thoughts … I am noticing a few things now about the MacBook that I thought I would share as a follow up to the previous post:
- I am missing the lighted keyboard … I hate to say it but I look at the keyboard quite a bit when I type. I type fast, but I never really did practice the way Mrs. Hawk (my 9th grade typing teacher) would have liked. With that said, I am digging the MacBook’s keyboard design.
- The sound is lame … the built in speakers suck. Completely underpowered compared to the MBP. I don’t use the speakers on my laptop much, but I do when I am on the road in hotels. I love music so when I travel my laptop turns into my in room entertainment system. Maybe I just need to forget how good the MBP speakers sounded and get on with life.
- I am not missing the larger display … the native resolution of 1280 x 800 on the MacBook is treating me just fine. I can always go back to a virtual desktop setup, but Expose continues to be my favorite choice for rapid switching.
- I love the glossy screen … I know you can get that on the MBP, but I didn’t have it and really like it. We shall see how it holds up on a plane with an open window shade, but so far so good.
- Video seems a little slow … but I guess that is to be expected. I am only noticing it now as I have hooked up to a 23″ Apple Display … it just feels that way, but it may be in my head. It does do a great job of driving the display however.
- It gets dirty … and I mean it gets dirty fast. I have no idea how to care for the glossy screen, but I find myself wiping fingerprints off the case a lot.
- Sexy … yep, I said it. This thing is sexy. People check it out … funny, MBP’s are everywhere on campus and this thing just turns heads. Not that I am into that sort of thing!
- It is fast … with 2 GB of RAM it is very speedy. I have to say it feels faster than my MBP (which was a first generation Intel MBP) except for when I launch Word. Thankfully (a) I don’t launch it as much as I used to and (b) a native Intel version has been announced.
- The size … the form factor simply kicks ass. The size and weight are amazing. It has sharp edges around the wrist rests that I will need to get used to, but it is a joy to hold, sit on your lap, and use. I am liking that … it reminds me of why I loved the old 12″ PowerBook.
Later today I am getting my USB Broadband Modem and will be testing it. That will be the make or break on this thing for me … I will post my reactions either tonight or tomorrow on that one. So there it is for today — my mind may change tomorrow, but so far I am really liking the MacBook over the MacBook Pro. Any other thoughts for me?